WKU's Taggart tweets apology for UK remark
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) — Hilltoppers coach Willie Taggart has apologized on Twitter for his comments about Western Kentucky students wearing Kentucky apparel because "they probably couldn't get into UK."
Western Kentucky plays at Kentucky Saturday and during Monday's news conference Taggart said, "Everybody wears it and I hear people ask them why they do it, and the reason they're at WKU is probably they couldn't get into UK."
Taggart's later tweeted his "comments were intended to suggest that WKU students who wear UK apparel this week are not showing allegiance to our athletic program and football team in a week where we need everyone's support. ... I apologize to any of our students who think I may have meant otherwise."
Western Kentucky athletic director Todd Stewart says Taggart was "not intending to slight students."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort