WNIT: OSU women reach final with win over San Diego
OSU's core trio of Liz Donohoe, Tiffany Bias and Toni Young combined for 62 points in the Cowgirls' 73-57 victory over San Diego at Gallagher-Iba Arena to advance to the WNIT championship game.
After a 3-pointer by Morgan Woodrow capped an 11-2 San Diego (26-9) run to cut OSU's lead to 19-17 at the 8:55 mark of the first half, the Cowgirls finished the period on a 19-5 spurt to take a 16-point advantage into the locker room.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 13 photos
The first 20 minutes largely belonged to Donohoe, who scored 15 of her 20 points before intermission by using her versatile game. She nailed a trio of three-pointers against the San Diego zone defense and put the ball on the floor to score near the bucket.
Then when San Diego switched its defense to man-to-man to account for Donohoe's range, Young took over with her turnaround jumper and ability to rebound and put the ball back in the basket.
“We just didn't have an answer for Toni today,” San Diego coach Cindy Fisher said. “I watched a lot of film coming into this game and had a lot of things prepared for her, and I thought she just completely (went) to a different level tonight. That's obviously where we lost the ballgame right there.”
OSU, which has not had to leave home during the WNIT, now has three more days to utilize the extra time in the gym this postseason run has provided. Not to mention one more chance to play in front of a Gallagher-Iba crowd that has continued to grow with each game.
What would capturing the championship mean?
“It would be something that we could be very proud of,” Littell said. “Just show the character of these kids and what they're made of.
“That ain't gonna change, win or lose. The character of this group and how they've been all year long, I'm just blessed to be coaching them.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit