Woman burned in Little Axe house fire

A woman suffered burns in a house fire Sunday. She was taken to Integris Baptist Medical Center where she was hospitalized.
FROM STAFF REPORTS Modified: November 18, 2013 at 10:03 am •  Published: November 18, 2013

LITTLE AXE – A woman caught in a house fire where she lived alone Sunday was rescued by a neighbor, fire Assistant Chief Jeremy Doss said.

About 3:45 p.m. Sunday a man who lives next to the woman smelled smoke and kicked in the front door of the home at 106 Jessie near Franklin Road between Dobbs and Harrah roads, Doss said.

The neighbor said he could hear her screaming for help inside but could not get the front door open. She had burns to her back and arms. She was out of the burning home when firefighters arrived.

The cause of the fire appears to have been discarded smoking materials in a front room where she was sleeping.

Firefighters from Little Axe arrived and extinguished the blaze. An ambulance took the woman to Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, he said. Her name was not released.