Woman shoots and kills intruder in Lincoln County
CUSHING — A woman with a shotgun was on the phone to a 911 dispatcher this morning in Lincoln County when she shot and killed an intruder who crashed through her back patio door.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Donna Jackson, 56, told the dispatcher a man she didn't know was at her sliding glass door to her back patio about 12:40 a.m. at 352112 E 800 Road south of the Cushing city limits, said Lincoln County Sheriff Chuck Mangion.
She was armed with a 16-gauge shotgun when the dispatcher heard the glass door smash and the shotgun blast, Mangion said.
A man identified as Billy Dean Riley, 53, was struck once in the chest and pronounced dead when emergency medical workers arrived, Mangion said.
Jackson was not harmed.
Jackson was home alone when her dog woke her up, Mangion said. She turned all the lights in the house on and then armed herself with the shotgun. Her husband was not home, Mangion said.
She went into her kitchen and saw a man trying to break in. The man saw her and screamed threats at her, Mangion said. She told him she was armed and on the phone with police, he said.
The man picked up a patio table and threw it through the patio door, Mangion said. He stepped into the kitchen and that is when she fired the fatal blast, striking him in the center of the chest, he said.
Deputies arrived and found the man lying on the back porch.
Jackson did not know the man, Mangion said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in