Women's NCAA Tournament: Baylor's quest for national title will go through Oklahoma City
Barring upset, No. 1-ranked team will play in OKC Regional
Barring a massive upset in the first or second round, Baylor's quest for a second consecutive national championship will go through Oklahoma City.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The top-ranked Lady Bears, led by superstar senior Brittney Griner, are the No. 1 seed in the Oklahoma City Regional, where Chesapeake Energy Arena will host semifinal games on March 31 and the Regional Final on April 2.
The team to advance out the Oklahoma City Regional will move on to the Final Four in New Orleans.
State schools Oklahoma and Oral Roberts are in the Regional as the No. 6 and 15 seeds, respectively. That bracket also features six teams ranked in the final Associated Press poll in second-seeded Tennessee, third-seeded UCLA, fourth-seeded Purdue, fifth-seeded Louisville, seventh-seeded Syracuse and eighth-seeded Florida State.
Other teams in the Regional include Princeton, Creighton, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Liberty, Stetson and Prairie View A&M
“We are excited to host such a competitive and diverse group in our region,” Oklahoma City All Sports Executive Director Tim Brassfield said in a release. “Baylor's Brittney Griner is one of the elite players in the history of women's college basketball and she could be playing here in Oklahoma City in a couple of weeks, along with many other outstanding players.
“OKC will be the showcase location in 2013.”
The first- and second-round games that feed to Oklahoma City will be played in Columbus, Ohio, Knoxville, Tenn., Waco, Texas and Lexington. Ky. beginning Saturday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit