Woods recovers on back 9, Matteson leads by 1
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Tiger Woods birdied five holes on the back nine in his first trip back to Malaysia since winning the 1999 World Cup to end the day three strokes behind first-round leader Troy Matteson at the CIMB Classic on Thursday.
Matteson made eight birdies in a bogey-free 8-under 63 to take a one-stroke lead over fellow Americans Jeff Overton, Brian Harman and Robert Garrigus.
Woods was 2 under early, but was even after nine holes after par putts lipped out on the eighth and ninth holes.
Woods recovered strongly with five birdies on the first eight holes of the back nine and finished with a 66 on the par 71, 6,197-yard The Mines Resort and Golf Club course, missing an 8-foot birdie putt on 18.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals