Worker dies after falling from University of Oklahoma's Headington Hall
A worker who fell from a construction site at the University of Oklahoma died of his injuries Monday, the worker's company confirmed.
NORMAN — A worker who fell from a construction site at the University of Oklahoma died of his injuries Monday, the worker's company confirmed.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Jimmy Guthrie, president of Universal Roofing and Sheet Metal, said the worker was taken by helicopter to a hospital after the incident, where he later died.
The worker, whose name was not released, fell from OU's Headington Hall at 9:15 a.m. Monday, said Dana Birkes, a spokeswoman for Flintco, the construction firm working on the building. After the man fell, other workers administered first aid and called 911, Birkes said.
The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, spokeswoman Elizabeth Todd said.
Birkes said it appears the worker hadn't been properly secured to the building.
Flintco's safety policy requires workers to wear safety harnesses that are fastened to tie-off points on the building, Birkes said.
OU officials referred questions about the incident to Flintco, saying buildings under construction are the property of the contractor.
Headington Hall, the university's new athletic dormitory, is expected to open before the 2013 fall semester.
The incident comes just weeks after an OU student fell to her death from another campus building. Casey Cooke, 22, died after falling from Evans Hall in the early hours of June 3.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit