Workers set to strike at Port of Oakland, airport
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — About 200 workers are set to begin a 24-hour strike at the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport, but the labor action is not expected to affect holiday travel.
Workers represented by the Service Employees International Union are scheduled to walk off the job at 9:30 p.m. Monday to protest alleged unfair labor practices.
SEIU 1021 represents maintenance and janitorial workers employed by the Port of Oakland at the airport and the shipping harbor.
SEIU spokeswoman Anna Bakalis says workers will picket at the airport but have no plans to disrupt air travel. Union members will start picketing at the harbor at 5 a.m. Tuesday and hope other port workers will honor the picket line.
Port officials say they are concerned the strike could disruptions at the harbor.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments