The First Annual NewsOK Sports/OPUBCO World Cup Draft was a rousing success. Many of the participants had no soccer knowledge whatsoever, but it’s all good. We’re just playing for fun anyway.
We had a random drawing for draft order and did the draft via email on Wednesday. Despite cries of tampering from sports editor Mike Sherman, the draft order yielded some balanced rosters.
If you take into account that no European team has ever won a World Cup based in South America, Sherman stands a good chance to win our pool with two of the top 10 teams (Chile, Columbia) in ESPNFC.com’s World Cup Power Rankings.
The draft was done in a snake draft format (someone drafts first during the very first round, they’ll draft last the following round, then they’ll draft first again in the next round, and so on.) I happened upon the first pick, drafting hosts and tournament favorite Brazil No. 1 overall. Call Brazil my Jadeveon Clowney.
We’ll update the standings after each round of games in group play and the knockout stages. Scoring is listed below.
Make sure to catch our coverage of the World Cup here: http://newsok.com/sports/world-cup
The World Cup Draft
1. Erik Horne – Brazil, Russia, Ecuador, Iran
2. Ryan Sharp – Argentina, Mexico, Switzerland, Australia
3. Cody Stavenhagen – Spain, Portugal, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Costa Rica
4. Chris Brannick – Germany, Italy, U.S.A., Honduras
5. Mike Sherman – Columbia, Chile, Greece, Ghana
6. Alan Herzberger – Netherlands, England, Croatia, Cameroon
7. KT King – Belgium, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Algeria
8. Jenni Carlson – Uruguay, France, Japan, South Korea
Win = 2
Tie = 1
Loss = 0
Knockout round (points for victories)
Round of 16 = 4
Quarterfinals = 6
Semis = 8
Finals = 10