World Neighbors changes the world one community at a time
World Neighbors, an Oklahoma City-based nonprofit, helps communities in remote and impoverished parts of the world identify and solve problems.
John L. Peters stood before the congregation at St. Luke’s Methodist Church with no idea what to say.
Earlier in the week, he’d penned a proper sermon, but held in the grip of a conviction greater than his own, he’d tossed it out a few hours earlier. He felt compelled to speak the truths he’d learned as a military chaplain during World War II … but what would come out? Would anyone understand?
In the Philippines, he could say, he’d held a young soldier he knew in his arms, feeling him shake and shudder as life and blood gushed from a fatal chest wound. Kneeling in a filthy foxhole...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena