Wozniacki, Stosur, Ivanovic into Kremlin Cup semis
MOSCOW (AP) — Ana Ivanovic will face Samantha Stosur in the semifinal of the Kremlin Cup after straight-set victories Friday.
Ivanovic beat Vesna Dolonc 6-4, 6-1, while the top-seeded Stosur defeated Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-3.
Stosur won six consecutive games in the first set but trailed 3-1 in the second set. She recovered with a break in the sixth game and later served out the match at love.
The 2011 U.S. Open champion from Australia will play the 2008 French Open champion in the semifinal on Saturday.
Earlier, Caroline Wozniacki struggled to beat defending champion Dominika Cibulkova 6-2, 6-7 (1), 6-1. Wozniacki, another former No. 1 player, won four consecutive games in the first set and later took advantage of an ailing Cibulkova, who was playing with her right hip bandaged. She took a medical timeout while trailing 2-1 in the third set.
"The difference at the end was that I just could keep my highest level up to the end and I managed to win most of the important points, especially at the beginning of the third set," Wozniacki said.
The 11th-ranked Wozniacki, who finished the last two seasons at No. 1 on the WTA rankings, still has a chance to overtake Marion Bartoli of France at No. 10 by the end of the season if she wins titles in Moscow and at the season-ending Tournament of Champions.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims