Xavi Hernandez signs through 2016 with Barcelona
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Xavi Hernandez has extended his contract with Barcelona for another two years, committing to the stay with the club through 2016.
The 33-year-old Spanish midfielder completed the deal with club President Sandro Rosell on Monday, with Vice President Josep Maria Bartomeu and football director Andoni Zubizarreta looking on.
Xavi, who finished third in FIFA Player of the Year voting from 2009-11, said "this is where I want to be," adding that Barcelona had always been his first choice.
He said he knew there were many other players who could play in his position and that the club had "made an effort, and I am grateful."
Barcelona had announced plans for the new deal on Dec. 18.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater