Yankees RHP Hughes nears session on mound
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Yankees right-hander Phil Hughes says he is scheduled to throw off a mound Saturday for the first time since being sidelined by a bulging disk in his upper back three weeks ago.
Hughes made 25 throws from 60 and 90 feet during his third level ground throwing session on Wednesday. He is set to add 10 pitches off a mound on Saturday and follow that with a 25-pitch bullpen session Sunday or Monday.
Hughes says he is experiencing "no problems," and feels "good."
Hughes was hurt Feb. 18 during a defensive drill in spring training. The right-hander went 16-13 with 4.23 ERA in 32 starts for the Yankees last season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims