Yann Danis returns, but Barons lose in shootout
After serving as the Edmonton Oilers' backup goaltender, Danis returns to OKC.
Yann Danis, the reigning American Hockey League goaltender of the year, will be a key factor in the Oklahoma City Barons' attempt to reach the playoffs for the third consecutive year.
NewsOK Related Articles
In his first game in net for the Barons in nearly a month, Danis recorded 31 saves in a 3-2 shootout loss to Rochester on Tuesday night at the Cox Convention Center.
“It wasn't because of Yann. He was very good tonight,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “We've always been comfortable with Yann. It's good having him back. It's nice having that experience in the net. I thought this was one of his better games of the season.”
Danis notched a couple of key stops late in regulation that kept the game tied 2-2. He also stopped the Americans' first four shots in the shootout, but took the loss when all five OKC skaters failed to score against Rochester goalie David Leggio.
The 31-year-old veteran didn't play much during two stints with the Edmonton Oilers but recorded his 17th career NHL win, playing the final two periods of the Oilers' 6-5 win two weeks ago against Chicago. It was only the Blackhawks' second regulation loss this season.
“I felt good tonight right from the start,” Danis said. “It was nice to start a game. It's nice to get back into it. We have a couple of games coming up this weekend. Hopefully I can get back in a groove and get things going.”
It was Danis' first start since Feb. 26. During two stints with Edmonton, Danis filled in as the backup for Devan Dubynk. Danis appeared in only two games. He never started a game.
Danis is 16-13-4 this season with the Barons but has made only four starts since Jan. 13.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located