Share “Yemen minister says weapons came from Iran”

Yemen minister says weapons came from Iran

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm •  Published: February 9, 2013
Advertisement

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemen's interior minister said Saturday that his country was disappointed to find that a large and diverse cache of weapons seized on a ship last month had been exported from Iran, a finding Washington said underscores Tehran's ongoing evasion of U.N. resolutions.

Speaking in a press conference in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, Interior Minister Abdel-Qader Kahtan said a Yemeni investigation found that the weapons were destined for armed insurgents. He did not elaborate, saying only that an investigation is ongoing.

He said he had hoped Iran would not "export weapons to Yemen". It was the first acknowledgement by a Yemeni official on the record to hold Iran responsible for the shipment.

The U.S. State Department said in a statement that the initial findings of the Yemeni investigation show that "Iran continues to defy the international community through its proliferation activities and support for destabilizing action in the region."

The State Department said Yemeni government officials noted that their investigation thus far shows that the weapons were loaded onto the vessel in Iran.

Continue reading this story on the...