Young, Smith lead A's past Angels 7-5
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — This early in spring training, the Oakland Athletics want to be careful with even the slightest twinge.
Especially on a chilly afternoon with temperatures in the upper 50s.
Chris Young doubled home a run before leaving with a leg cramp in Oakland's 7-5 victory over the Los Angeles Angels on Sunday.
Seth Smith had two RBIs and Coco Crisp added a pair of hits for the A's in a game that took 3 hours, 44 minutes. Young doubled and scored in the first inning but got a cramp in his quadriceps while running down a fly ball in the bottom half and was removed as a precaution.
"It's a cramp more than anything else," said A's manager Bob Melvin, adding that Young would be back on the field in two days. "He had a nice hit. He made a nice play. It's something you don't mess around with."
Young, acquired from Arizona during the offseason, is expected to play all over the outfield this season because the A's already have three regulars in Yoenis Cespedes, Coco Crisp and Josh Reddick.
Oakland starter Travis Blackley allowed three hits in a scoreless inning. He gave up a leadoff single to Tommy Field in the first but picked him off.
"I'll take any zero I can get right now, as ugly as it may be," Blackley said. "It was a tough day to pitch. My cutter was really good today. My pickoff is still there. It saved me."
Blackley said strong wind that included gusts of more than 25 mph throughout the day nearly pushed him off the mound while he was in the stretch. The left-hander went 6-4 with a 3.86 ERA in 24 games (15 starts) for Oakland last year after he was claimed off waivers from San Francisco in May.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law