Your Business Coach: What do you look for in a leader?
Bill Fournet: Regardless of political affiliation, technical acumen, and a list of accomplishments, there are three fundamental qualities people seek in leaders.
Authenticity. Determining if a leader is genuine is one of the most difficult tasks — and the farther you are from the leader (as in the presidential election), the harder it becomes. What is the leader really like? Does he truly mean or believe what he says? Yet this attribute goes to the heart of what we look for in leadership — if he is not authentic in his values, beliefs, and words, then can we really trust him? Is he able to step outside of the political party lines and be true to himself? Recent surveys of the workforce repeatedly cite workers seeking leaders who “walk their talk” yet they find that most do not.
Authenticity is basic to trusting someone.
And trust is basic to leadership.
People often follow because they trust the leader — the direction they are headed, their ability to protect the team, the statements they make. When trust is broken, teams often implode, abandoning the leaders as quickly as possible. As a leader, ask yourself if you are living your values and principles. Are you talking about them with your team? How genuine do your team members think you are? Do they trust you? If your answers concern you, then think about how you can build trust with the team — and it usually starts first with you, your words, and your actions.
Your Business Coach is a regular column produced by The Persimmon Group, an Oklahoma-based consulting firm that offers practical, results-oriented advice for business professionals of all disciplines and business owners across industries. Today's column is by TPG Founder and CEO Bill Fournet. Email him at email@example.com.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena