Your Life: Community help is available for those dealing with addiction
Charlotte Lankard: During September, National Recovery month focuses primarily on the person needing treatment, but the family members of someone abusing alcohol or drugs also need help and too often don't know where to go.
During September, National Recovery month focuses primarily on the person needing treatment, but family members of someone abusing alcohol or drugs also need help and too often don't know where to go.
This month, I have been introducing groups where families can receive assistance. Here are the ones with which I am most familiar:
A Chance to Change, 5228 Classen Circle, Oklahoma City, offers free educational seminars: How Addiction Affects Families; Codependency-Hidden Fears, Hidden Tears; Enabling — The Helping That Hurts; Treatment and Recovery. www.achancetochange.org 840-9000.
Parents Helping Parents is a group of folks with a child of any age using drugs or alcohol. They offer support groups, education, telephone contact and information about resources. www.parentshelpingparents.info.
Oklahoma Outreach Foundation provides a high school named Mission Academy where teenagers in recovery can receive support and encouragement as they complete their high school education. www.okoutreachfoundation.org.
Twelve Step groups: www.familiesanonymous.org, www.codependents.org and Al-Anon.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister