Your life: Readers share what brings them joy
Charlotte Lankard: Whether it is being busy, strolling leisurely, finding a quiet place to ponder or taking a nap, the bottom line is to find what gives you joy and honor that.
I am a great fan of emails, but I am impressed with people who still hand-write notes.
One showed up in my post office box a few weeks ago from Nancy Hasenfratz, of Kingfisher. I've kept it.
Al Ross, of Midwest City, sends emails. He reminded me the first time he wrote was 2004 when we both celebrated our 65th birthdays.
In 2004, he told me he had been a child raised in poverty, homelessness and abuse. His dream was to own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. On his 65th birthday, he bought one.
Eight years later, Al still has that Harley, still rides it and has since added a 2005 Touring Harley, which has taken him to the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, from Seattle to Washington, D.C., and to Gettysburg, Pa.
While Al's life on the other side of 65 has not been perfect, he always sets out to find his way back to joy. He exercises and stays strong so he can make those long rides, meeting new people and making new friends. He wrote, “I have come to understand what it means to not only have years in my life, but to experience life in my years.”
However, one size does not fit all, writes Linda Wheeler, of Oklahoma City. She reminded me that while dancing, lunching, volunteering and staying busy are good for many at retirement age, it's not for everyone.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense