Your Life: The gift of time could be the best gift of all
Charlotte Lankard: For many, help in the way of errands and household chores would be a welcome Christmas gift.
Only 42 shopping days until Christmas. There are those few hardy souls who plan months ahead and have been buying all year — and then the rest of us who are beginning to realize it is time to get started.
I recently heard a couple of ideas worth considering.
One requires time, but no money. The idea came from my friend Jeanne Craig. A few weeks ago she celebrated a birthday and when asked by her daughter what she wanted for a gift, she said, “I would like each of my children and grandchildren to give me two hours of their time just to take care of some of the things around the house that I have difficulty doing.”
On Jeanne's birthday, they all showed up. They washed windows inside and out. Weeded flower beds and applied new mulch. Repaired a fountain. Removed a dead bush. Transplanted two rose bushes. Cut out trees growing in two bushes and trimmed a dead part out of an evergreen tree. They cleaned up when they were finished.
Jeanne says it is the best gift she ever received.
That is a gift I can see for single parents, working moms, retired parents, grandparents and friends and family members who can no longer “do it all.”
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 15993Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12289Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11194OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9941Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9689Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8745Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8728Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated