Your Life: Try something different to spice things up
Trying new things adds spice to life.
If variety is the spice of life, then my life has been a bit spicy lately.
Within a 60-day-period, I attended the opera in Rome and a concert in Nashville featuring Willie Nelson and the Nashville symphony.
Both performances were entertaining and invigorating, in different settings with different audiences, yet both comfortable and enjoyable.
My parents would never have believed this was possible. Sometimes I have to pinch myself.
What I have learned is that staying in a secure routine can become dull, but to venture into the unknown, the uncharted, can make you feel ecstatic again and full of wonder and awe.
I understand how easy it is to get into familiar ruts — doing the same thing in the same way at the same time every day — and I have nothing against a few familiar ruts, but I have also come to understand the spike of pleasure one feels when something new is experienced.
Making an effort to try something different does not require traveling out of your country, state or city. It only takes some curiosity, imagination and an understanding that even if the “something new” turns out to be less than hoped for, it still beats boredom and you've had an adventure!
I invite you to give thought as to how you spend your time. The old familiar things we do and enjoy do not have to disappear, but it is good to add a little spice to our lives by trying something different on occasion.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims