Yukon officials still hope to annex roads shared with Oklahoma City
There are about 19 miles of shared roadway between Yukon and Oklahoma City. Yukon officials are trying to find a way to annex those roads.
YUKON — City officials say plans to annex portions of roads split down the middle between Oklahoma City and Yukon are still in the works, but exactly how it will pan out is unclear.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Currently, many of the boundary roads between the cities are in need of repair, Yukon City Manager Grayson Bottom said. About 19 miles of shared roads exist between the two cities, primarily along W Wilshire Avenue, Sara Road and NW 10 Street.
“You have to do an analysis of the road not only today, but also years ahead so you know what your maintenance responsibility is years out,” he said. “We don't want to be unfair to one another.”
Last spring, Yukon annexed a portion of Mustang Road in front of the new high school between NW 10 and E Vandament Road. Renamed Yukon Parkway, the transfer smoothed the ruffled feathers of many Yukon residents who disdained the idea of having their high school along a road named after longtime rivals the Mustang Broncos.
Bottom said the shared boundaries often create a headache in terms of road repair and which city responds.
Near Yukon High School on Yukon Parkway is Covenant Community Church. After the name change, church workers had the task of switching to a new address after decades of having a Mustang Road address.
Church office manager Jody McBride said the post office agreed to deliver to both addresses for a year. At first, computer searches for the location would direct traffic to an address on Yukon Avenue, or it simply wouldn't find the correct place. Those problems have largely been resolved, but for public functions and on the church's website, the address is listed as formerly being on N Mustang Road.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals