RB Brandon Williams shines bright in OU's recruiting class
NORMAN — What Oklahoma lacked in numbers this recruiting class, the Sooners made up for in star power.
And no star's potential shines brighter than 5-star running back Brandon Williams.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Signing Day was anticlimactic for Williams, who's been enrolled at OU for weeks now working out with the team and preparing for spring drills.
But during coach Bob Stoops' Signing Day news conference Wednesday, Williams' name came up often, and Stoops tossed out names like DeMarco Murray and Adrian Peterson while trying to describe his new running back.
“Brandon is much bigger than Roy (Finch) — Brandon is more in the style of, I'd say, DeMarco and Adrian or somewhere in between the two,” Stoops said. “He's a guy that's all of 6-1 and probably 205-210 pounds, has got incredible speed. And he's a physical type guy in the way he likes to run.”
Like thunder and lightning rolled into one back.
The No. 3 high school running back in the country according to both Rivals and Scout, Williams had a phenomenal senior season at Brookshire (Texas) Royal.
While averaging 9.8 yards per carry, Williams rushed for 2,438 yards and 33 touchdowns, leading Royal's deep charge into the Class 3A playoffs. Williams was also selected to the Under Amour All-American Game.
Rivals says Williams is built in the mold of Darren McFadden. Wednesday, the website also picked Williams as one its “five instant impact recruits” in the nation.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort