Longtime Oklahoma sportscaster Bob Barry Sr. dies
Bob Barry Sr., the man Bud Wilkinson picked to announce Oklahoma Sooners football games, has died.
Bob Barry Sr., the man Bud Wilkinson selected to announce Oklahoma Sooners football games, has died from a heart attack at age 80.
The Norman resident was found at home Sunday morning by son Frank Barry. Neighbors noticed Barry Sr. had not picked up his newspaper or mail.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 42 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at St. John's Episcopal Church in Norman.
Barry Sr. ended a 50-year broadcasting career in March, when the OU men’s basketball team played Texas at the Big 12 Championships. The Classen High and OU graduate and Air Force veteran started his broadcasting career in 1955. He called Norman High School football games for KNOR before he was chosen out of 14 candidates to do OU football.
“I do think to this day that I had an advantage because Bud used to listen to me at Norman High where his two sons, Jay and Pat, played when he could go to the games,” Barry Sr. told The Oklahoman in September 2010.
Barry Sr. was radio voice of the Sooners from 1961-72. He switched to Oklahoma State, covering the Cowboys from 1973-90. Known in Oklahoma as “The Legend,” Barry Sr. returned to OU in 1991. In between his duties at either OU or OSU — and a 1973-74 stint as the University of Tulsa basketball play-by-play man — he worked for KFOR-TV from 1966-2008. Barry Sr. was the television station’s sports director from 1970-97.
He was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 1998 and the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame in 1999.
Bob Dotson, an NBC news correspondent who hosts American Story, worked at WKY-TV (now KFOR) from 1969-75. He told The Oklahoman on Sunday that Barry Sr.’s advice “set me on a path I follow to this day.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims