The Oklahoman has a new website, launching Oklahoman.com as a premium site for its current and future subscribers.
The new site expands The Oklahoman's suite of products that began with print replica versions of the paper and grew in recent years to the newspaper's custom mobile and tablet applications.
And now it has a website to go along with the rest.
“It's a premium reading experience,” said Chris Reen, president of OPUBCO Communications Group and publisher of The Oklahoman.
“We carefully designed it for our print and digital subscribers who like the way The Oklahoman is organized every day,” he said.
The website features day-by-day navigation, allowing a reader to see the stories of the day packaged together by familiar sections. Updated breaking news articles throughout the day are showcased separately on a “Live” page.
“It's really a streamlined presentation,” said Kelly Dyer Fry, editor of The Oklahoman and vice president of news for OPUBCO Communications Group. “Oklahoman.com emphasizes the big news events and analysis of the day while still providing easy access to the latest breaking news items of the moment.”
While Oklahoman.com is a premium option for news consumers, NewsOK.com is not going away. NewsOK will continue to feature a variety of breaking news, blogs, videos, photo galleries, sports, weather and more as the traditional Web news outlet serving a mass news audience.
“NewsOK is a fast-paced site that's always changing and updating,” Fry said.
“That meets the needs of a large digital audience. But The Oklahoman's site is a quieter reading experience with fewer moving parts. It's consistent with the experience a reader of The Oklahoman would expect,” she said.
Current subscribers to The Oklahoman have free access to Oklahoman.com. Print subscriptions start at $12 per month.
Nonsubscribers may purchase access to the site as part of a complete digital suite for $15 per month or as a single-product purchase for $9.99 per month.
Reen said, “We are proud to offer yet another avenue to get The Oklahoman's daily product in front of those who want it and need it.”
What's on the site?
Features on Oklahoman.com include:
• Additional photos and video with articles
• Access to seven days of editions
• Access to search The Oklahoman's digital archives
• Live edition with breaking news
• Daily comics
• Facebook commenting
• Facebook Connect: logging in through Facebook account
The Oklahoman's other products that are free to print subscribers include:
• The iPhone app
• The iPad custom app
• The iPad Print Replica app
• The desktop Print Replica app
• The Android smartphone/tablet app
• The Oklahoman Archives, dating back to 1901
How can you log in?
Logging in to Oklahoman. com:
• Print subscribers: On the login screen, select the option labeled “I am a Print Subscriber and would like to activate my Free Access” and complete the information to validate your print subscription.
• Nonsubscribers: Purchase access by selecting the option labeled, “I would like to purchase Access” and select the product plan that best fits you.