Bedlam wrestling: 'Anything can happen' when OU, OSU square off
BEDLAM WRESTLING — Top-ranked OSU travels to Norman to meet the No. 12 Sooners in wrestling.
Defending NCAA champion Jordan Oliver says there is no way Oklahoma State will be looking past Thursday night's Bedlam dual in Norman toward Sunday's finals of the National Duals in Stillwater.
NO. 1 OSU VS. NO. 12 OU
* Where: McCasland Fieldhouse in Norman
* When: Thursday at 7 p.m. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
* Tickets: All ticket sales from trailers outside the south entrance. Due to renovation, all fans must enter from the south entrance which faces Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Prices are $15 for reserved seating and $10 for general admission.
* TV: Cox Channel 3 and 703 (HD)
PROBABLE LINEUPS (OU WRESTLER LISTED FIRST)
125 pounds: Jarrod Patterson (22-5) vs. Jon Morrison (17-5)
133: Jordan Keller (20-6) vs. Jordan Oliver (18-1)
141: Kendric Maple (25-1) vs. Josh Kindig (12-7)
149: Nick Lester (19-8) or Justin DeAngelis (12-8) vs. Jamal Parks (24-0)
157: Matt Lester (18-8) vs. Albert White (22-5)
165: Bubby Graham (16-11) vs. Dallas Bailey (13-9)
174: Kyle Detmer (7-5) vs. Chris Perry (20-0)
184: Erich Schmidtke (16-11) vs. Chris McNeil (14-7)
197: Keldrick Hall (19-8) vs. Blake Rosholt (17-2) or Cale Byers (20-3)
HWT: Kyle Colling (13-11) vs. Alan Gelogaev (23-0)
“We are definitely not overlooking them,” said Oliver, ranked No. 1 in the country at 133 pounds with an 18-1 record. “OU-OSU is always a big rivalry. Anything can happen. Hopefully, we will go to OU and beat them pretty good.”
Oliver downed two ranked opponents last weekend in the National Wrestling Collegiate Association regional at Gallagher-Iba Arena to help send the Cowboys into this weekend's final four of the National Duals with Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois.
The Fighting Illini defeated Oklahoma 21-18 Sunday at a NWCA regional in Utica, N.Y. The 12th-ranked Sooners, 13-4, will have a tough row to hoe Thursday night against the top-ranked Cowboys.
OSU, 14-0, is the only unbeaten team left in the country.
The Cowboys have four wrestlers ranked nationally in the top three of their weight class with Oliver, second-ranked Jamal Parks and Alan Gelogaev at 149 pounds and heavyweight, and No. 3 Chris Perry at 174 pounds who dropped from 184 pounds where he was wrestling to start this season.
OU's highest ranked wrestler is No. 3 Kendric Maple at 141 pounds, who said the Sooners are looking forward to the challenge. The Cowboys defeated the Sooners 25-13 on Dec. 11 and have won four straight in the series.
“Bedlam is always fun,” Maple said. “We are always itching to get at them.”
Thursday night's dual will be the last action for the Sooners until the Big 12 Tournament in two weeks. OSU, however, will compete Sunday for the National Duals championship and then in a make-up dual in Stillwater on Feb. 24 against No. 10 Missouri.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes