Bob Stoops' late-game decisions turned the tide in OU's loss to Baylor
OU FOOTBALL — A decision to call a timeout with 51 seconds left on the clock ended up costing the Oklahoma football team as it gave Baylor the opportunity to drive for the game-winning score.
WACO, Texas — Bob Stoops made two major decisions in the final minute of what became one of the wildest football games in Oklahoma Sooner history.
Videoview all videos
Nov 20Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III threw for four...
Nov 20Jenni Carlson and Travis Haney explore what went wrong in...
Photoview all 51 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The first decision never got a chance to work. The second decision failed.
Baylor stunned the fifth-ranked Sooners 45-38 on Robert Griffin's 34-yard touchdown pass to Terrance Williams with eight seconds left in the game.
Griffin had the chance to do so because Stoops tried to win the game in regulation.
After OU tied the game 38-38 with 51 seconds left, Baylor took over on its 20-yard line and, content to run out the clock, ran tailback Terrance Ganaway up the middle on first down.
Stoops called timeout.
“You got the wind, we had stopped them (two straight series), I think we were 3-of-13 on stopping them on third down,” Stoops said.
“I thought he would run it one more time, make us burn another timeout.
“They punt into the wind, we have the opportunity to get the ball back with one timeout, have a chance for a field goal.”
Instead, Griffin scrambled twice in a row, for 22 and eight yards. One play after that, Griffin delivered the game-winner.
After Stoops' timeout, “we say, OK, we better make a first down,” said Baylor coach Art Briles. “Get this thing out of here. At least attempt to get the ball downfield.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21533Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17671Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12448Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9610Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9529Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9416Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8233Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense