Naked woman at golf tournament angers Woodward officials
An Elks golf tournament that included a naked woman angered officials in the northwestern Oklahoma city of Woodward. The officials said it was inappropriate.
WOODWARD — City officials said they are angry that a naked woman was part of a charitable golf tournament hosted on a municipal golf course.
NewsOK Related Articles
Elks Lodge No. 1355 hosted the golf tournament in July at the Boiling Springs Golf Course. The event is a fundraiser for the lodge's annual rodeo, Elks Rodeo Chairman Neal Day said.
One of the volunteers stripped naked as part of a putting green challenge, though she was not asked to do so, Day said. He said the woman was recruited to help at the last minute after a longtime volunteer couldn't attend.
“Obviously, we didn't know what was going to happen,” said Day, who was not at the tournament.
“This is obviously not a normal occurrence. We've never had this happen.”
City leaders are upset, Woodward City Manager Alan Riffel said.
“I was offended,” Riffel said. “The city commissioners were offended. The community was offended. That has been conveyed to the golf course operator and to the Elks.”
The city of Woodward took over the golf course in October, Riffel said. Repairs were made to the course, which reopened in April.
It's leased for $1 a year to an outside firm, JCLA Enterprises.
Riffel sent a letter to JCLA Enterprises on behalf of the Woodward Golf Oversight Committee last month, notifying the company that it would lose its lease if anything else inappropriate happened.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims