Oklahoma universities break enrollment records
As students at most of Oklahoma's colleges and universities headed back to class Monday, many found their campuses more crowded than when they left in May.
Videoview all videos
Aug 20Many colleges and universities around the state,...
Photoview all photos
Many colleges and universities across the state, including the state's three largest institutions, began their fall semesters Monday.
And those three largest schools — the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University and the University of Central Oklahoma — are breaking enrollment records.
Colleges and universities won't have final enrollment numbers until they complete their fall enrollment periods.
OSU: Most freshmen
On Monday, OSU's freshman class size stood at 4,298, making it the largest freshman class at any public university in the state's history. That total tops the previous record of 4,053, set by OU last year.
Overall enrollment at OSU's Stillwater campus is also at an all-time high. Monday's enrollment total stood at 23,459, topping the campus' previous record of 23,053, set in 1982.
In a statement, OSU President Burns Hargis attributed the enrollment growth to support from alumni and other donors.
“OSU's increased enrollment numbers are a direct result of the momentum of our generous donors who are creating opportunities for our faculty and students and the university's partnership with the city of Stillwater in making this community a top destination for students,” Hargis said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments